Dark Turns

Nia Washington fought her way up from the streets and was nearing the pinnacle of her profession when an injury and a broken heart derailed her career. Taking a temporary job as a dance instructor at an elite boarding school was supposed to give her time to nurse both body and soul. It was supposed to be a safe place to launch a triumphant comeback. It is anything but.
Not long after she arrives at the beautiful lakeside campus, she discovers the body of a murdered student, and her life takes a truly dark turn. Suddenly, she is drawn into a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse with a ruthless killer. And Nia isn't the only target. She must use all of her street smarts to protect her dancers, save a wrongfully accused student, and rescue the man she loves.

A stunning and suspenseful tale of passion and betrayal, Cate Holahan's Dark Turns will take readers deep into the mind of a murderer and the woman who must put an end to the killing.



My Review

I seem to be in the minority when it comes to this book. I was not over joyed or head over heels in love with this book. In fact, I struggled through the first half of the book. I was not feeling the suspenseful build up surrounding the killing of the young girl that Nia found in the water. Also, the fact that the story took place at a school for ballerinas did not add any dimension to the story. If anything I found myself doing a little comparison to Black Swan. In my eyes I felt this book was lacking in how dark Black Swan was.

Nia was alright but she did not pop off the pages and make me fully intrigued with her. At times I wanted to scream at her because I found her naive. Also, I found the relationship she had in the story to be dull as well. Yet, the second half of the story did pick up and was better. The ending was a bit predictable. 
 
Cate Holahan headshot
 
 
CATE HOLAHAN is an award-winning journalist and former television producer. Holahan’s articles have appeared in BusinessWeek, The Boston Globe, The Record and on web sites for CBS, MSN Money, NorthJersey.com, BusinessWeek.com, and CNBC. Her short fiction won first place in the 19th annual Calliope competition, a magazine published by the writer's group of American Mensa.
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Book Giveaway