Everything I Never Told You





Lydia is dead. But they don’t know this yet . . . So begins this debut novel about a mixed-race family living in 1970s Ohio and the tragedy that will either be their undoing or their salvation. Lydia is the favorite child of Marilyn and James Lee; their middle daughter, a girl who inherited her mother’s bright blue eyes and her father’s jet-black hair. Her parents are determined that Lydia will fulfill the dreams they were unable to pursue—in Marilyn’s case that her daughter become a doctor rather than a homemaker, in James’s case that Lydia be popular at school, a girl with a busy social life and the center of every party.

When Lydia’s body is found in the local lake, the delicate balancing act that has been keeping the Lee family together tumbles into chaos, forcing them to confront the long-kept secrets that have been slowly pulling them apart.
  



My Review

The moment I opened this book and started reading it I was hooked. I was already half way done reading the book before I put it down to take a break. However when I picked it back up I finished the last half of the book quickly. I just loved the way the author wrote this story. The Lee family are a very complex family. They may be dysfunctional but not any worse then maybe your own family.
Each member of the Lee family had their secrets and faults. However I liked seeing how each of them coped with them. They showed that they are human. Thus after a while I did not see them as characters in a story but as "real" people. The story just flowed from moment to moment drawing on more emotions. The ending was very nicely done. I look forward to reading more books by this author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Aberrations