The Mirror of Karma and the 4 Sisters




There was four sisters. Well technically three sisters and one God sister.

Gi-Gi Chen is the oldest at twenty nine years old. Next is Lily Kong, who is twenty seven, than Mei-Ling, who is twenty six, and finally the youngest, Mimi, who is just sixteen years old. Lily, Mei-Ling and Lily all grew up in China. Gi-Gi grew up in Panama.

Years later Gi-Gi and Mimi ended up living together. Mimi did not know she had other sisters, until one day she and Gi-Gi saw a fortune teller who told them about Lily and Mei-Ling. After learning about Lily and Mei-Ling, the other two went in search of them. The Mirror of Karma and the 4 Sisters is their story.

I thought Mimi as the narrator of this story did a good job. Some times the narrators of stories are not very relatable or don’t really have a stake in the story. This was not the case in either way with Mimi. Gi-Gi was so mature. She could have gotten upset that her mother gave her away but she didn’t and tried to help the others learn this as well.

One detail that I didn’t really care for was that this book read more like a cross between a screen play and a memoir than a story. It would stop to set up the next scene, so there was a lot of starting and stopping and did not easily flow like I would have liked. There was a lot of explanation about the culture of China and the “one child policy” and each character that I did appreciate. Coming from South Korea, a country similar to China and their “one child policy”, I am so thankful that I was adopted by a wonderful family. I love my mom and dad so much. While there were parts of this book that I found chunky and other parts that I did like. Overall, I have to say that The Mirror of Karma is worth checking out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Buck Naked!

Don't Say a Word: A Daughter's Two Cents

Book Giveaway